5.15.2012

May 15th: Salsa for Breakfast...

This is a strange post - you have been warned.  I ate salsa for breakfast...corn salsa...a pinterest find.  You can see the original recipe here, and my changes are as follows: no scallion/cilantro - substituted fresh chives, basil, and parsley, added a can of black beans, and used regular chili powder instead of chipotle.  It is so-amazing-I-can't-stop-going-back-to-the-fridge-for-more-eat-it-with-a-spoon-good.



I can't wait to try it with some greens for a refreshing lunch salad.  1 cup has about 150 calories, so it's not too bad -- it's the chips that get ya!  

But still -- salsa for breakfast.  NO...not pregnant.  (Just in case any of you went there.)  

I just finished up a 7-day cleanse "diet" with yesterday being my last full day -- so this morning, I had NO limitations as to what I could/could not eat, and the salsa had been sitting in the fridge since I made it yesterday afternoon...all the flavors blending together.  YUM.

So this cleanse -- it's supposed to flush your body of impurities, and over the week, you should lose somewhere between 5-11 pounds.  (**Losing that much in a week IS.NOT.HEALTHY...on a regular basis...just clarifying.)  I was intrigued and decided to try it.  I think I was being driven by hitting the first plateau on this weight loss journey and being frustrated with "doing all the right things" but not seeing too many results.  (Turns out I had some numbers wrong, but anyway...)  

So here's the plan:

Day 1: Eat only fruit, but NO bananas.
Day 2: Eat only veggies, but NO peas, corn, beans.  For supper a baked potato with butter! 
Day 3: Eat only fruit and veggies...no potato today.
Day 4: Eat only bananas and skim milk (or yogurt made with skim milk).  Up to 8 of each.
Day 5: Eat only chicken or turkey and 6 tomatoes.
Day 6: Eat only chicken, turkey, and veggies...no potato.
Day 7: Eat only Miracle Soup.  (onion, cabbage, green pepper, celery, tomatoes, onion soup mix, water)

Yeah....so I learned a LOT of self-control this week...and throughout the process ended up losing just over 7 pounds...which was a really nice added bonus!  This is not a very balanced diet obviously, so it would not be a good idea to eat this way regularly to try to lose weight.  Plus...you might go crazy.  I was SO ready for the week to be OVER!  I can't really tell any difference in my body as far as the cleansing aspect, but the weight loss was nice and hopefully jump started things again so that I will continue losing and not gain it all back.  I searched around a little bit and discovered there are several variations on this, so if I end up doing it again sometime, I will read up on those before I start.

SO -- maybe NOW you understand WHY I ate Corn Salsa for Breakfast. :-)


Generosity

"Grant that my children may be generous and willing to share,
and so lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age."

"They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share,
thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that 
they may take hold of that which is truly life."
1 Timothy 6:18-19




Pin It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you! I don't think I could make it a week on that food schedule and that salsa looked really good! Just stopping by from the hop. :)

Tamara @ http://hisperfectpromises.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...