2.21.2014

The Elusiveness of Sleep...


Wednesday night was frustrating...but it finally got to a point of being laughable.  Sometimes you just have to laugh in order to get through, right?

It had been a semi-rough day anyway and I was looking to unwind.  A few magazines, the winter olympics, and a glass of good bourbon helped me settle and I was ready for bed at 9:30.  I was almost asleep when my husband came to bed...so I was shaken out of my almost asleep phase as he settled in and got comfortable.  Thankfully, I drifted off pretty quickly and slept in my bourbon coma for about 4 hours...

...until I was awakened by the sound of the dog puking.  Yay.  She sleeps in her crate in our room and normally it's a great situation.  I don't handle puke well (not that anyone does, but I REALLY don't), so my husband was kind enough to drag the crate outside and we decided she would sleep on the deck the rest of the night (out of the crate).  It was 60* (yah...in February), so she would be fine...

...we settled back into bed and the barking started...she's pretty obsessive and any little noise at night will set her off, so it may have been a small animal or it may have been the wind...but either way, she wasn't giving up.  Once again, my kind husband settled her back in her crate, this time in the laundry room...at the opposite end of the house from our room.  I was feeling really ill by this point and despite my best attempts, couldn't get the sound of the puking out of my head.  (mouth sounds really bother me.) I tried to focus on anything else and drift off...

...and she started whining...so loud that I could hear it all the way back in our bedroom, despite the noise machine and the noisy refrigerator.  Then the neighborhood dogs started barking...and she heard them, so she started her "inside" bark...which is not a full blown bark because she knows she will get in trouble if she does that, but she can't help but commiserate with all her canine friends.  Apparently, none of this is disturbing my husband, as he is now snoring...

...as I lay in bed, rolling my eyes and starting to feel the giggles at the situation, I realize that I am dreadfully hungry and my stomach makes such a loud grumble, I'm not sure if it's actually my stomach or the snoring...

...still can't get to sleep and it's after 3:00 a.m. now...I've scanned facebook, instagram, goodreads, checked the weather multiple times, checked e-mail (all on my phone) and I'm thinking about reading on my nook for awhile...but my eyes were tired, so I decided to try sleeping...

...I had almost drifted off, when my daughter started coughing.  She's been struggling with cold symptoms for about a week and night-time has been the most difficult.  The coughing continued and it became obvious she was going to need something to help.  My husband was tired enough to sleep through it all, and I knew that he would be getting up in less than 2 hours to go work out.  I grabbed my pillows, water bottle, phone, and nook, and headed into C's room...

....got some Breathe oil on her feet and chest, started the humidifier with Breathe oil added, propped her up on a couple pillows and adjusted her blankets, and settled myself down next to her...and she never woke up.  By this time, after moving around, I'm wide awake again, still hungry, and feeling the effects of drinking water throughout the night...ahem...

...I decide it's not worth it to get up, I'll probably get up in a few hours anyway, and I start to drift off...until C rolls over and starts snoring right next to my ear!  For real.  You can't MAKE this stuff up, people!  I shift her over again and settle, and she throws off all the covers (mine included)...I manage to get the covers back on just me, just in time for her to roll over and poke her knees into my back....and I am finally so tired that I drift off to sleep (the power of the Breathe oil?!?!) for a few hours.

This is what teenagers should have to endure to prepare them for real life...

But...it's a blessed life, and despite the snoring, coughing, and lack of sleep, I wouldn't trade it.  

(the puking dog...well...she's on thin ice right now...)



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...