1.29.2014

Bread Machine Zucchini Bread

Typically I try NOT to create my own recipes.  I love to cook and bake and can follow a recipe...but creativity in the kitchen is not really my strong point.  My husband has graciously endured through numerous of my Oh-I-Made-It-Up dinners, and thanks to pinterest, hasn't had to do that in a long time.  BUT, I was on a quest for a Zucchini bread that was sweet but didn't have as much sugar and oil as the traditional recipes tend to have.  I searched around on pinterest but never found anything I was completely happy with, so I decided to just invent my own. (insert raised eyebrows here)

I was surprised that it turned out edible and actually tasty.  My daughter loves it, and I don't mind giving it to her since it is not loaded with sugar!  I enjoyed it this morning as toast (I KNOW, I KNOW...how is THAT low-carb?!?), and I was thinking it would make some really good french toast...

Here is it fresh out of the oven...


And here's the recipe:

2 cups shredded zucchini (water squeezed out if previously frozen like mine was)
1 1/4 c. warm water
1 egg
1/3 c. maple syrup
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. butter, softened
1 1/2 T. dry milk
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/4 tsp. yeast (or 1 pkg)

Place ingredients in bread machine in order listed.  Set on dough cycle.  When finished, knead briefly and shape into loaf (or loaves).  At this point, it was a bit dough-y so I will probably add a little more flour next time...for this time, I just kneaded in a little extra.  Place in loaf pans or on a baking sheet or stone and cover with a towel.  Allow to rise 45 minutes.  Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes.

Enjoy fresh out of the oven with butter...



I'm open to suggestions for improving this recipe, so if you try it and find something that makes it even better, please be sure to let me know! 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...